Aug 27, 2012, 12:41 PM EDT
Is it good to be on a list with the likes of bad boy Joey Barton and Andy Carroll, the most ridiculously overpriced man in the history of overpriced men in modern soccer?
Congratulations, Clint Dempsey. It has come to this for you.
In England, the Guardian’s Andy Hunter reckons that Dempsey, the U.S. international up to his elbows in transfer time turbulence, should be No. 2 on the list for last-minute window shoppers in English soccer. Here’s Hunter’s list of 10 men to consider.
Carroll is No. 1, which makes me wince. Probably a bunch of others, too.
Not that Carroll doesn’t have some talent in that long horsey mane of his. But climbing from beneath the shadow of that crazy-whack £35 million transfer fee (about $55 million today) that Liverpool gifted to Newcastle some 19 months back will always be difficult.
The notorious Barton, outspoken and overly prone to controversy and drama, is available for zilch, as QPR has apparently had enough.
Michael Owen, still trying to reclaim glory stripped away by years of injury woe, is on the list, too.
Friday is transfer deadline day in England.
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 2
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 1
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 2
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public