Aug 27, 2012, 2:11 PM EST
Having written recently about the sad disappearance of American influence around Craven Cottage, I stand corrected: I forgot that there is, indeed, still an American in performance mode at Fulham. And he’s one U.S. fans have a right to be excited about.
Emerson Hyndman is the 16-year-old grandson of FC Dallas manager Schellas Hyndman. His Fulham FC bio is here.
He first attracted attention from abroad about four years ago when Dennis Wise, then with Newcastle and visiting Texas for the annual Dallas Cup, spotted the 12-year-old. The family flirted with the notion of uprooting and moving into northern England but ultimately shelved the idea. Emerson, meanwhile, trained with FC Dallas in some portions of the pro team’s practices. Physically, he was among giants, but tactically and skills-wise the tiny young man was not out of his element.
Emerson Hyndman is at Fulham now and causing quite an excited ruckus. His hat trick in FFC’s under-18 win over the weekend has people on both sides of the Atlantic talking.
Even in a lopsided win, three goals is not bad work for a central midfielder during just 65 minutes of action.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park