Aug 27, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
Having written recently about the sad disappearance of American influence around Craven Cottage, I stand corrected: I forgot that there is, indeed, still an American in performance mode at Fulham. And he’s one U.S. fans have a right to be excited about.
Emerson Hyndman is the 16-year-old grandson of FC Dallas manager Schellas Hyndman. His Fulham FC bio is here.
He first attracted attention from abroad about four years ago when Dennis Wise, then with Newcastle and visiting Texas for the annual Dallas Cup, spotted the 12-year-old. The family flirted with the notion of uprooting and moving into northern England but ultimately shelved the idea. Emerson, meanwhile, trained with FC Dallas in some portions of the pro team’s practices. Physically, he was among giants, but tactically and skills-wise the tiny young man was not out of his element.
Emerson Hyndman is at Fulham now and causing quite an excited ruckus. His hat trick in FFC’s under-18 win over the weekend has people on both sides of the Atlantic talking.
Even in a lopsided win, three goals is not bad work for a central midfielder during just 65 minutes of action.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes