Aug 28, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthdays: On another day, Carsten Jancker might not make the big birthday list. But the former Bayern Munich man was a big whoop in the late 1990s and into the next decade. And he did have 33 caps for Germany. So, yeah, happy 38th birthday, Herr Jancker.
Longtime Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Paul Allen (pictured) turns 50. That man is darn near a legend around White Hart Lane.
Big Important Story of the Day: Toronto FC got off to a good start in CONCACAF Champions League play with a resounding 5-1 win over travel-weary Aguila from El Salvador. But tonight’s contest against Mexican power Santos Laguna? Yes, that will be a different story.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Ted Eck
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- D.C. United at Chicago
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Houston
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
What you should watch on TV today: Sacha Kljestan and his Belgian club Anderlecht try to stay alive in UEFA Champions League play, hosting AEL Limassol FC from Cyprus. Kljestan’s team is down by a goal, but this one is in Brussels, so it’s “game on!” That one kicks off at 5 p.m. on Fox Soccer Channel. (But stay off of Twitter; it is a delay broadcast.) Later on FSC the aforementioned Toronto-Santos Laguna contest kicks off at 8 p.m. ET.
*Ahead on the blog today: In addition to the usual Tuesday staple, our ProSoccerTalk MLS weekly rankings, we’ll have some thoughts on Monday’s terrible news out of Kansas City, where striker Teal Bunbury is done for the year after suffering a severe knee injury in Sunday’s draw with New York.
PST background noise while blogging today: We’ll see what SoundCloud has to say about it; I’m thinking downtempo.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- DaMarcus Beasley, introduced in Houston: I see myself as a left back 0
- Wenger talks Zelalem, gets taste of U.S. obsession for potential international 2
- EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United’s new signing Ander Herrera focused on success 2
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0
- Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure 1
- Official: Frank Lampard unveiled as New York City FC’s latest signing 4