Aug 28, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
(Nos. 1-10 are on deck …so check back)
19. Toronto FC – It’s all about CONCACAF Champions League, as we talked about earlier today on the blog. Santos Laguna visits BMO Field tonight, and there’s some trash talking history to this one. Trash talking! Does this mean CCL has arrived?
18. Portland Timbers – All things considered this was probably the best week around Jeld-Wen Field all summer. Things went well in a 2-1 win over rival Vancouver, there’s excited talk of a new coaching candidate being identified (Caleb Porter) and the reserves drew over 14,000 for a Sunday match. Cheers to ya, Timbers Army.
17. Colorado Rapids – Let’s all hope Pablo Mastroeni doesn’t decide to call it a day, but things aren’t looking good right now. So last week’s signing of Honduran international Hendry Thomas might help ease the sting if the former U.S. international cannot recover sufficiently from concussion-related issues and return by next season. As for this year? The weekend brought yet another beat-down, a 4-1 loss at San Jose.
16. New England Revolution – Management around Gillette Stadium grabbed Juan Toja in the allocation process. But you just have to think they are trying to package up the former FC Dallas standout and use him to improve the defense or goalkeeping. The entire rear guard just isn’t good enough. Latest evidence: a 4-3 loss at Columbus.
15. Chivas USA – To study the standings and Chivas USA’s games in hand, it looks like the Goats can still catch Vancouver for the final playoff spot. But it’s not going to happen – not without a major improvement. Robin Fraser’s team has gathered just four of a possible 15 points since late July. The team’s only wins since mid-June have come against down-and-out Portland. Combined score for the last three matches: 11-3 for the foes. Oh, up next: three consecutive matches on the road. Playoffs? Not. Gonna. Happen.
14. Philadelphia Union – This Freddy Adu-John Hackworth back-and-forth may be the most interesting reason to watch events around PPL Park over the last few weeks. Adu was skillfully understated in his comments about coming off the bench in the weekend’s scoreless tie with Real Salt Lake – but that doesn’t mean he was happy about it.
13. Vancouver Whitecaps – Even some of the best supporters around BC Place are having doubts about this team’s ability to hold off challengers for the final playoff spot. A loss at Portland over the weekend certainly didn’t help matterrs. And now Barry Robson’s attitude is being called into question. (Robson is pictured above). It’s a question worth asking, too.
12. FC Dallas – A trip to Los Angeles threw a road block into all that momentum built on David Ferreira’s return. On the other hand, Blas Perez was added as a sub in Sunday’s 2-0 loss after missing the club’s last 12 matches. That was the first time this year Dallas’ top three attackers, Ferreira, Perez and Brek Shea, were on the field together. Vancouver can still be caught, but the margin for error grows thinner with each point lost for FCD.
11. D.C. United – Let’s say this for our friends from RFK: there is never a shortage of stories coming out of Black and Red Valley. Management is always trimming and adding to the roster. Or they are complaining about things that everyone deals with. They tend to change coaches a lot, too. Speaking of coaches, Ben Olsen’s lineup choices were controversial over the weekend. All the swirl of punchy storylines points to the same place, however: questions about whether United will breach the playoffs for the first time since 2007.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 0
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 4
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)