Aug 29, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
Real Madrid wins this round, claiming this year’s Spanish Supercopa after today’s 2-1 win over Barcelona at the Santiago Bernabeu. The victory gave El Real a 4-4 win on away goals (after last week’s 2-3 at Camp Nou) and, perhaps more importantly, a win in the season’s first Clásico (albeit a 180-minute one).
Gonzalo Higuain quickly got Real Madrid even, taking advantage of a Javier Mascherano error to score in the ninth minute. Cristiano Ronaldo gave Real an outright lead nine minutes later, shortly after Barcelona right back Adriano saw red for a denial of goal scoring opportunity. Lionel Messi pulled Barcelona back even, but with only 10 men, the Copa del Rey holders were unable to find a winning goal.
Other points of interest from this one:
- Barcelona were without Daniel Alves and Carles Puyol.
- Luka Modric came on in the 83rd minute, replacing Mesut Özil.
- Despite both coaches hinting they would tone it down in this year’s Supercopa, both sides started strong teams.
- So while the win gives Real some nice bragging rights over their rivals, Jose Mourinho’s team is still five points back in league.
In league, Barcelona get their first test of the season this weekend. They host Valencia, who have already taken a point out of the Bernabeu. Real Madrid look for their first win of the season against visiting Granada.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million