Aug 30, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT
D.C. United hosted the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday night. Each side earned a point after Wilman Conde’s late goal leveled the score at dos a dos. So much to discuss. Seriously, this was a barnburner.
- Dwayne De Rosario as “Mr. 100.” Goals, that is. He joins the exclusive club and darn well he should. The man can ball.
- The Andy Najar as right back experiment continues with another successful outing.
- Time to start the Ben Olsen job watch? A bit too early, methinks, but what if the Red and Black fall out of the playoff picture? Then you have to think some discussion will bubble to the surface. (That said, firing Olsen would be ludicrous.)
- The first struggles of Bill Gaudette. If you’re going to come for the ball, you gotta get to the ball, my dude.
- Conde’s game-tying blast. See ball. Run to ball. Hit ball. It’s a simple game, folks. And who knew the defender even had a right foot?
But if you want to talk about the one most important takeaway from the match, you gotta go with Conde at left back.
“Not only at the end of the game, he was probably one of our best players at left back,” Red Bulls head coach Hans Backe told MLSSoccer.com’s Franco Panizo. “It’s great to see he adapts so quick from being a center back his whole life to play left back. He played overall, over 90 minutes, very good.”
Conde’s ability to handle the left back duties gives Backe the flexibility to move Heath Pearce into the middle, which is good because that’s where he should be playing regardless of the health of one Mr. Rafa Marquez.
The Red Bulls look primed for the stretch run. Or, in other words, boom goes the dynamite.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0