Aug 30, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT
No one paying attention should be surprised by the news out of PPL Park today, where Philadelphia Union officials stripped the “interim” tag off John Hackworth’s managerial reign.
Hackworth, 42, has been signed to a “long-term” deal, according to the club.
He’s a more nurturing sort than Peter Nowak, whose hardliner MO reaped early benefits around Chester – but whose erratic roster management proved to be his undoing.
Hackworth is well-liked around the grounds (so long as your name isn’t Freddy Adu, apparently, as that relationship seems a bit strained). His early record at PPL Park (5-6-2) is already an improvement over the results that Nowak squeezed from the group in 2012; ge was 2-7-2 before a June dismissal. (Which has gone ugly, by the way, with lawsuits and such.)
Hackworth has gotten the improved results by sorting out roles and expectations – and by creating an atmosphere where players aren’t so fearful of mistakes.
The other recent news out of Philly can’t be so comforting for Union fans; they have released forward Jorge Perlaza.
This surely hurts Union fans to their cheesesteaky hearts. Perlaza was acquired in a trade that sent Danny Mwanga and all his potential to Portland earlier this year. Mwanga was the top overall MLS draft pick in 2010.
So, in exchange for the top pick in 2010, the Union effectively received … zilch.
You remember those erratic personnel moves I mentioned before, right?
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (33)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (11)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team