Aug 30, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer:
Birthdays of Note: This may be the only time that Steven Smith (the Portland Timbers’ defender) and Juventus’s Simone Pepe will be mentioned in the same sentence (unless there’s another blog out there that does soccer player birthdays). Smith, in his first year in MLS, turns 27 in Thursday, while Pepe, recently cleared for wrong-doing in Italy’s latest match-fixing/throwing scandal, turns 29.
Big Important Story of the Day: UEFA Champions League draws its groups today in Monaco. Four pods, 32 teams, four groups – the draw takes place at 11:45 a.m. Eastern. Expect no shortage of breakdowns. Take a pass on the Champions League drinking game of “Group of Death” is on your card.
What we should all be watching on TV: Europa League is in its final play-in round, though that’s unlikely to draw much television attention. CONCACAF Champions League, however, may be more interesting, with both the Seattle Sounders and Houston Dynamo in action on FOX Soccer.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Brian Maisonneuve
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- Chicago at D.C. United
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Houston
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
PST background noise while blogging today: We all have those songs on our [portable music player or choice] we’re a bit ashamed of, right? Well, I’ve got them on one playlist, a selection that’s given me Nelly Furtado’s “Say It Right” followed by LL Cool J’s “Hey Lover”. Don’t judge.
We’ll leave you with: Did you catch the starting XI Bruce Arena threw out against Puerto Rico on Wednesday? Credit to the Galaxy boss. He started essentially a second choice team (at best) and got a 4-0 victory in CONCACAF Champions League. Still, don’t you get the feeling Arena would rather not deal with this other, non-MLS competition the Galaxy get dragged into every year?
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes