Aug 30, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
There finally may be a break in the complicated logjam that is tamping down the Free Dempsey movement. And with just one day remaining in England’s transfer window, it’s not a moment too soon.
Liverpool striker Andy Carroll appears to be on the move, on loan to West Ham. That’s the first and most important domino that would need to fall in order for Clint Dempsey to even have a chance of that dream move of his to Anfield.
The talk of Dempsey’s move to Sunderland remains alive, although we know this qualifies as an escape hatch for the U.S. striker, whose refusal to play at Fulham may have burned all the bridges back into Craven Cottage.
Freeing up Carroll’s salary is the key here. And make no mistake, officials at Anfield are desperate to get some of the expensive striker’s number off the books. Said manager Brendan Rodgers:
“You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy has been a cover player for us and has been excellent in terms of his attitude and acceptance of where he is at. … But I don’t think we are in a position to have £35m players as third-choice strikers, or wingers who are on £5m-£6m a year.”
Rodgers certainly would like to have Dempsey, although Arsenal’s Theo Walcott is another target and potential complicating factor; he may or may not still be in play.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 0
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?