Aug 31, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
The fee won’t say it, but today’s transfers won’t get much bigger than Hugo Lloris. Daniel Levy and Tottenham pulled off a coup, convincing the 25-year-old France captain to relocate from Lyon to North London.
Who he is: Lloris is considered by some to be the best goalkeeper in the world. Those who won’t concede the crown still admit he’s one of the world’s best.
Born in Nice in 1986, Lloris debuted for his hometown club in 2005, moving to then-Ligue 1 champions Lyon at the end of the 2007-08 season. That year, he make his senior debut for the France national team, eventually claiming the team’s one shirt ahead of the 2010 World Cup. Laurent Blanc would later name Lloris captain of Les Bleus.
What does he do: At 6’2″, Lloris is not physically imposing. More Iker Casillas than Petr Cech, he’s a reflex keeper, not one who will dominate his penalty area. That’s the one part of his game where he could be open to (relative) criticism: Decisiveness and efficacy coming off his line. Unfortunately, he’s going to a country that can be relentless about dwelling on that skill (ask David de Gea). In all other aspects – shot-stopping, organizing his defense, and otherwise reading the game – he’s among the best in the world. His leadership qualities could also prove valuable to a team transition into a new coach.
How much did he cost: Amazingly little, given his stature. Lyon gets €10 million up front ($12.6 million, per the BBC), potentially rising to €15 million.
How does he fit: Like any `keeper – in goal.
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in next round 0
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 8
- 2013/2014 Premier League fixtures released 1
- United States player ratings vs. Honduras 2
- What we learned from the U.S. World Cup qualifier win over Honduras 6
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public