Aug 31, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthday: Kind of a lucky break for Pepe Reina. Not yesterday’s howler, of course, the one that almost got Liverpool bounced out of Europa League action. (That man owes Luis Suarez some Pemmican beef jerky or something; the LFC forward saved Reina’s Spanish bacon with the late goal.) The lucky part is that Reina’s gaff happened Thursday and not Friday. Because had it happened one day later, that’s how Liverpool’s No. 1 would have to forever remember his 30th birthday.
Big Important Story of the Day: It’s transfer deadline day in England, and you know what that means. That we’ll probably have a conclusion to the Clint Dempsey transfer saga.
Then again, if we don’t have a resolution, I suppose it all starts again in January.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Arnie Mausser
*Ahead on the blog today: Will the Daily Dempsey make its final appearance? We’ll see.
What you should watch on TV today: No, a Portland-Colorado contest probably isn’t going to say a lot about the MLS playoffs. But have you seen a game from Jeld-Wen Field in Portland? Holy hot top, those things are a hoot! Coverage on NBC Sports Network begins at 10:30 p.m. ET.
PST background noise while blogging today: Any new podcast out there that focuses on Europe and/or England? I’m on the hunt; my EPL fantasy team could use some help, for one thing.
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 2
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 3
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 4
- Three things we learned from the USA’s late defeat vs. Denmark 6