Aug 31, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
Soccer birthday: Kind of a lucky break for Pepe Reina. Not yesterday’s howler, of course, the one that almost got Liverpool bounced out of Europa League action. (That man owes Luis Suarez some Pemmican beef jerky or something; the LFC forward saved Reina’s Spanish bacon with the late goal.) The lucky part is that Reina’s gaff happened Thursday and not Friday. Because had it happened one day later, that’s how Liverpool’s No. 1 would have to forever remember his 30th birthday.
Big Important Story of the Day: It’s transfer deadline day in England, and you know what that means. That we’ll probably have a conclusion to the Clint Dempsey transfer saga.
Then again, if we don’t have a resolution, I suppose it all starts again in January.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Arnie Mausser
*Ahead on the blog today: Will the Daily Dempsey make its final appearance? We’ll see.
What you should watch on TV today: No, a Portland-Colorado contest probably isn’t going to say a lot about the MLS playoffs. But have you seen a game from Jeld-Wen Field in Portland? Holy hot top, those things are a hoot! Coverage on NBC Sports Network begins at 10:30 p.m. ET.
PST background noise while blogging today: Any new podcast out there that focuses on Europe and/or England? I’m on the hunt; my EPL fantasy team could use some help, for one thing.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire