Aug 31, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
Soccer birthday: Kind of a lucky break for Pepe Reina. Not yesterday’s howler, of course, the one that almost got Liverpool bounced out of Europa League action. (That man owes Luis Suarez some Pemmican beef jerky or something; the LFC forward saved Reina’s Spanish bacon with the late goal.) The lucky part is that Reina’s gaff happened Thursday and not Friday. Because had it happened one day later, that’s how Liverpool’s No. 1 would have to forever remember his 30th birthday.
Big Important Story of the Day: It’s transfer deadline day in England, and you know what that means. That we’ll probably have a conclusion to the Clint Dempsey transfer saga.
Then again, if we don’t have a resolution, I suppose it all starts again in January.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Arnie Mausser
*Ahead on the blog today: Will the Daily Dempsey make its final appearance? We’ll see.
What you should watch on TV today: No, a Portland-Colorado contest probably isn’t going to say a lot about the MLS playoffs. But have you seen a game from Jeld-Wen Field in Portland? Holy hot top, those things are a hoot! Coverage on NBC Sports Network begins at 10:30 p.m. ET.
PST background noise while blogging today: Any new podcast out there that focuses on Europe and/or England? I’m on the hunt; my EPL fantasy team could use some help, for one thing.
- Americans Abroad review: Boyd bags brace, Johannsson heads home (video) 0
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Southampton 0
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6