The Daily Dempsey, Part I: the U.S. striker rejects a bid from Aston Villa, remains “all in” for Liverpool
Aug 31, 2012, 10:14 AM EDT
We have indeed wandered into territories uncharted and unknown in the Daily Dempsey, a.k.a. the Free Dempsey Movement, one man’s quest to vacate the Craven Cottage premises.
Now he’s rejecting moves?
Word comes this morning that Dempsey has rejected a move from Fulham into Aston Villa.
Villa Park probably represents a small step forward from Fulham – but certainly nothing like the kind he talked about last winter, when word first emerged of the U.S. international’s desire to get into Champions League play.
After a trio of 6th-place finishes, Villa has placed 9th and 16th in the last two season.
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert wants additional talent to work alongside striker Darren Bent, and Dempsey fits the bill. Trouble is, Dempsey still wants that move to Liverpool, and there’s reason to believe it could still work out.
It will all be decided by 7 p.m. ET, the deadline for transfers.
It is crystal clear that Dempsey has over-played his hand in all this. Let’s hope in rejecting the move to Villa Park he hasn’t done so once again.
Check back! We’ll update the story at ProSoccerTalk as needed.
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 2
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (12)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona