Sep 1, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
Tottenham certainly didn’t spend $18 million for a reserve goalkeeper, so Brad Friedel is clearly a man under pressure around White Hart Lane.
Hugo Lloris, among the world’s finest men in goal, was a surprise transfer deadline acquisition for Spurs.
But handing the job to Lloris might not be such a slam dunk. Not after the former American international absolutely saved his club Saturday in north London. His first half save on a Robert Snodgrass header was nothing short of stunning. (For a chaser, Friedel scrambled to his feet and snuffed out a second effort as it came back near Spurs goal.)
So, while we’re all yipping and yapping about Clint Dempsey’s transfer and how he might slot in around the Lane, there’s so much more to talk about regarding the man they call AVB, Andre Villas-Boas, who is already taking a roasting. And deservedly so.
Spurs, a team with Top Four ambition, will go into the international break with two draws and a loss. Blek! Furthermore, it probably would have been two losses and a draw if not for Friedel.
It definitely would have been two losses and a draw if not for Moussa Dembélé, another deadline day find. His halftime introduction added some midfield punch to an attack that lacked much of it. Dembélé’s second-half goal was the cherry on top.
Still, this against Norwich, a team that Fulham clobbered (5-0) two weeks ago.
FSC analyst Warren Barton, like most of us, was clearly unimpressed, laying the blame squarely at the feet of Villas-Boas.
You can tell the players are not playing for him already. … You can tell, from preseason preparation, a lot of them are going, ‘I don’t get this guy. I don’t buy into what he’s doing.’ You can tell. Gareth Bale looks the shadow of the player we spoke about. [Aaron] Lennon keeps drifting inside. And as I said before, you play two holding midfielder players, leave [Emmanuel] Adebayor on the bench, you’re going to put yourself under this kind of pressure.”
Today, it’s probably fair to ask the question: What has Dempsey gotten himself into?
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad