Sep 1, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
Tottenham certainly didn’t spend $18 million for a reserve goalkeeper, so Brad Friedel is clearly a man under pressure around White Hart Lane.
Hugo Lloris, among the world’s finest men in goal, was a surprise transfer deadline acquisition for Spurs.
But handing the job to Lloris might not be such a slam dunk. Not after the former American international absolutely saved his club Saturday in north London. His first half save on a Robert Snodgrass header was nothing short of stunning. (For a chaser, Friedel scrambled to his feet and snuffed out a second effort as it came back near Spurs goal.)
So, while we’re all yipping and yapping about Clint Dempsey’s transfer and how he might slot in around the Lane, there’s so much more to talk about regarding the man they call AVB, Andre Villas-Boas, who is already taking a roasting. And deservedly so.
Spurs, a team with Top Four ambition, will go into the international break with two draws and a loss. Blek! Furthermore, it probably would have been two losses and a draw if not for Friedel.
It definitely would have been two losses and a draw if not for Moussa Dembélé, another deadline day find. His halftime introduction added some midfield punch to an attack that lacked much of it. Dembélé’s second-half goal was the cherry on top.
Still, this against Norwich, a team that Fulham clobbered (5-0) two weeks ago.
FSC analyst Warren Barton, like most of us, was clearly unimpressed, laying the blame squarely at the feet of Villas-Boas.
You can tell the players are not playing for him already. … You can tell, from preseason preparation, a lot of them are going, ‘I don’t get this guy. I don’t buy into what he’s doing.’ You can tell. Gareth Bale looks the shadow of the player we spoke about. [Aaron] Lennon keeps drifting inside. And as I said before, you play two holding midfielder players, leave [Emmanuel] Adebayor on the bench, you’re going to put yourself under this kind of pressure.”
Today, it’s probably fair to ask the question: What has Dempsey gotten himself into?
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million