Sep 1, 2012, 9:53 PM EDT
Is this really going to happen?
Are we going to have a serious debate about whether MLS Most Valuable Player can be awarded to a guy who first stepped on the field on Aug. 19?
We are not going to have this debate. Are we?
Federico Higuain is the best player in Major League Soccer at the moment. Even if you scoff at the notion, who could argue that he’s been the most productive, and certainly the most influential lately as the Columbus Crew have smashed their way into the playoff race.
Heck, as of the moment Emilio Renteria’s late header eluded Montreal goalkeeper Troy Perkins for the game-winner in Saturday’s 2-1 win, the Crew were officially in 5th place. That’s pending the D.C. United result out West, but still.
His goal was off Higuain’s sharp cross, the Argentine DPs second assist of the night. The Crew is 4-0-1 with their new highlight maker on the field. The one failure to collect all three points was a 2-2 draw in Houston, which is a great result considering Houston has yet to lose at BBVA Compass Stadium.
He has three goals and six assists in those five appearances.
So, yes, we might actually be forced to have this debate – as ridiculous as that sounds.
Here is the highlight pack from Columbus’ latest win.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public