Sep 2, 2012, 1:39 PM EDT
There was a time when Brad Guzan was a backup to Brad Friedel. But times marches on and here we are, in a moment where both are starting in the Premiership.
It may not be that way for long. Hugo Lloris’ signing at Spurs cannot portend great things for Friedel, although Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas insists the former U.S. international remains his No. 1. For now.
Friedel can still get it done, as we talked about yesterday.
Today, meanwhile, let’s talk about Guzan’s time at Aston Villa, and it is, apparently, Guzan’s time.
He got the start today for an increasingly rickety Shay Given as Villa boss Paul Lambert made the high-profile change.
Guzan was helpless against Hatem Ben Arfa’s uncontested, unstoppable 59th minute missile. Otherwise, Guzan got it right as Villa collected their first point in a 1-1 draw with Newcastle United.
Guzan’s best moment came on Yohan Cabaye’s free kick from just outside the penalty area. The U.S. international’s stunning save was the kind of game-changer Given once routinely supplied. So, it’s seems safe to assume Guzan has the spot until further notice.
(U.S. international Eric Lichaj was in Lambert’s first 11 as well, stationed at left back, which is never going to be his top spot.)
It wasn’t a clean sweep for American goalkeepers in England. Everton lost for the first time in 12 league games, and Tim Howard was among the culpable on West Brom’s insurance goal in the 2-0 win.
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 1
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 0
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 8
- Claudio Reyna announced as New York City FC Director of Football 0
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 9
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (17)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Landon Donovan and a Gold Cup squeeze? He deserves better (9)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger