Sep 4, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
About the random photo: Our friends from Kickette.com loved this one. It’s Oguchi Onyewu, of course, showing off his new kit. And showing off what the clevers from Kickette call his “eight-pack.” Nice one, ladies! … But, hey! He’s not just a sex object. He’s not just a doggone piece of meat! Women can be so insensitive, can’t they?
Soccer birthday: Real Madrid and Spain international midfielder Raúl Albiol turns 27 . That’s the best we’ve got today. Not to worry, because Sept. 5 has traditionally been a stronger date for soccer births; that’s what the Farmer’s Almanac says, anyway.
Big Important Story of the Day: The bulk of the U.S. team arrived into Miami on Monday for two days of training prior to Wednesday’s departure for Jamaica. Clint Dempsey is talking (finally!) about his dramatic Fulham departure and subsequent soft landing at Tottenham. And there’s sure to be more coming out of Miami.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Steve Zungul
*Ahead on the blog today: Since yesterday was a holiday schedule, we’ll catch up today with some of the Monday staples. There’s some news on David Beckham to talk about. Plus, Tuesday always mean MLS weekly rankings, a.k.a. someone’s next chance to tell me how wrong I am in all my MLS opinions. It’s a party that way.
What you should watch on TV today: Slim pickin’s for a few days due to the international break. But let’s all make lemonade from these lemons: pay some extra attention to that special someone in your life. (Then, we you ask for “time off” for soccer, you are ahead in the game. It’s all politics, man.)
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- Columbus at Houston
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Chicago
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
PST background noise while blogging today: Kind of into Sarah Jaffe at the moment.
We’ll leave you with this: No American broadcaster in the history over broadcasting has ever said Ligue 1 correctly. We just can’t pull it off.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte