Sep 4, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
About the random photo: Our friends from Kickette.com loved this one. It’s Oguchi Onyewu, of course, showing off his new kit. And showing off what the clevers from Kickette call his “eight-pack.” Nice one, ladies! … But, hey! He’s not just a sex object. He’s not just a doggone piece of meat! Women can be so insensitive, can’t they?
Soccer birthday: Real Madrid and Spain international midfielder Raúl Albiol turns 27 . That’s the best we’ve got today. Not to worry, because Sept. 5 has traditionally been a stronger date for soccer births; that’s what the Farmer’s Almanac says, anyway.
Big Important Story of the Day: The bulk of the U.S. team arrived into Miami on Monday for two days of training prior to Wednesday’s departure for Jamaica. Clint Dempsey is talking (finally!) about his dramatic Fulham departure and subsequent soft landing at Tottenham. And there’s sure to be more coming out of Miami.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Steve Zungul
*Ahead on the blog today: Since yesterday was a holiday schedule, we’ll catch up today with some of the Monday staples. There’s some news on David Beckham to talk about. Plus, Tuesday always mean MLS weekly rankings, a.k.a. someone’s next chance to tell me how wrong I am in all my MLS opinions. It’s a party that way.
What you should watch on TV today: Slim pickin’s for a few days due to the international break. But let’s all make lemonade from these lemons: pay some extra attention to that special someone in your life. (Then, we you ask for “time off” for soccer, you are ahead in the game. It’s all politics, man.)
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- Columbus at Houston
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Chicago
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
PST background noise while blogging today: Kind of into Sarah Jaffe at the moment.
We’ll leave you with this: No American broadcaster in the history over broadcasting has ever said Ligue 1 correctly. We just can’t pull it off.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014