Sep 5, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
Soccer birthdays:New England Revolution striker Ryan Guy turns 27 on Wednesday. C’mon, Jay Heaps, give the man a start on his B-day! (The Revs play Columbus tonight at Gillette Stadium outside of Boston.)
Dutch midfielder George Boateng turns 37. He had some good years in England. And he happens to be available. So, if your team needs a little something for the stretch, maybe you give the man a holler. (And then maybe you consider a little finder’s fee for your ol’ pals at ProSoccerTalk?)
Former Germany and Bayern Munich stalwart Paul Breitner turns 61.
Big Important Stories of the Day: The U.S. team leaves today for Kingston, Jamaica, where they have lots of draws but not a bunch of wins.
Also, Columbus is hotter than the grill at IN-N-OUT. They play New England tonight. If you haven’t seen Federico Higuain, well, why the heck not? The Crew controls its playoff fate at this point. So, check back to see how they handled things with the Revs.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Kylie Bivens
*Ahead on the blog today: We’ll take a look at San Jose’s big season of goals, goals, goals – and we’ll look at where it fits in the bigger pictures. Richard Farley has the anchor leg today. Smart dude. Keeps a cool head in a crisis. I’m sure he’ll have interesting things to tell you about MLS happenings and anything that breaks out of the U.S. camp. Probably something out of Europe, too. He’s cool that way.
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- Columbus at Houston
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Chicago
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
What you should watch on TV today: Colorado hosts Portland on the NBC Sports Network; kickoff is 9 p.m. ET
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park