Sep 5, 2012, 11:16 AM EDT
The Earthquakes just hit their 56th goal of 2012, nailing down a club record with a full seven games remaining. So, check the box on “Just plain getting it done.”
There can be no argument that the Western Conference leading Earthquakes are getting plenty right this year at Buck Shaw. Still, we always need context, especially in this case. Because this year’s 34-game schedule clearly arranges a different numerical stage than past seasons that landed at 28, 30 or 32 games.
The only fair comparison is in working the averages.
With 56 goals in 27 matches, Frank Yallop’s collection of goal makers and heart breakers are scoring at a clip of 2.07 per game.
That would be sixth best yet in MLS. Not bad, eh? Here’s the current list of the 10 highest scoring clubs over 17 seasons. (Apologies for the ghastly graphics; I’ve got my best people on it.)
Even that deserves context, because those early MLS years were skewed by relative disparity. Los Angeles and D.C. United were bell cows; the salary rules, such that they were, were applied unevenly in those days. (Same with the MetroStars, so their inability to make more noise those first few years speaks to serious organization instability.)
Yallop has something special going on at Buck Shaw this year. They are not going to flirt with that ’98 Galaxy all-time best. (That team had Cobi Jones and Mauricio Cienfuegos at their best.) Still, with a fairly favorable schedule ahead, the ‘Quakes have a chance to land somewhere right in the middle of this list of historical over-achievers.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 0
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona