Sep 6, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
What we’re thinking, what we’re watching, what’s coming on the blog today and the RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day). Setting up your day in soccer …
Birthdays of note: We may just want to skip the cake today, everybody. I’m with Elaine on this one.
So former Everton defender Joseph Yobo has a birthday? Cool guy, I’m sure, but he doesn’t hang around these parts much. And Fulham defender Stephen Kelly? A little closer to what we’re watching, but still not enough.
Look, all: I was supposed to get in shape this summer, but instead somebody’s rolling out a cake everyday at 3 p.m. Just for one day, I’ve gotta say no.
Ahead on the blog today*: We’re one day out from the U.S. versus Jamaica in Kingston. Expect a healthy does of USMNT news. There’s also a big game in MLS tonight – Houston taking on Real Salt Lake – and if everything falls into place, we’ll check in on the MLS Panic Quotient®. Oh, and more highlights from last night’s MLS action.
Big Important Stories of the Day: Not just in CONCACAF, but all over the globe: World Cup qualifying will be center stage on Friday. Expect a day packed with injuries, lineup news, and speculation, particularly from Europe, where the qualifying tournament is just starting.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Cindy Parlow
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- Columbus at Houston
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Chicago
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
PST background noise while blogging today: Was anybody else a fan of The Tony Rich Project? It’s been bad in my head over the last couple of days, especially “Hey Blue”. I used to drive around San Diego all hours listening to his two records, up and down the coast long after you’d have to worry about slowing down through La Jolla or Del Mar. Stick shift, old Honda, and these CDs. Anything to get out of my dorm. Anything to get somewhere I could sing these songs.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''