Sep 7, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Birthdays of note: Gabriel Alejandro Milito turns 31. The former Argentina, Barcelona, Zaragoza, and Independiente central defender scored 11 goals in 350 matches. Luckily, that wasn’t his job. He was on the field to keep the ball out of the back of the net, a skill at which he excelled. He retired earlier this summer, citing mental and physical exhaustion.
Ahead on the blog today*: CONCACAF World Cup qualifying returns; other World Cup qualifiers around the globe; the Houston Dynamo-Real Salt Lake match and What It All Means; a (very brief) MLS weekend in action; Steve Davis’ deep thoughts on the European debt crisis**
Big Important Stories of the Day: U.S.-Jamaica. Can the Yanks get three points in the Caribbean? Or will The Office turn into da Fortress, mon? Does Clint Dempsey start? Can the depleted Americans thrive? Will Kyle Beckerman break out into some Buju Banton at midfield in the 60th minute?
(Also, don’t sleep on Antigua and Barbuda going into Guatemala, either. Those results are perhaps more important for the future of Group A than the Stars and Stripes-Reggae Boyz tilt.)
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): Sebastian Lletget
If the MLS playoffs started today:
- Columbus at Chicago
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- New York Red Bulls vs. Houston
- Vancouver Whitecaps at L.A. Galaxy
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. Seattle
PST background noise while blogging today: Bob Marley. But only until the start of the U.S.-Jamaica game. Then it’s “Born in the USA” on repeat.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
** Especially subject to change; you know how it is…
- USMNT prospect Gideon Zelalem on Arsenal’s roster for Red Bulls match 0
- Stripping Russia of World Cup 2018? Germany makes the argument 2
- New York City FC to announce “major signing” on Thursday… Frank Lampard? 6
- PHOTOS: What if your college was a professional soccer team? They could look like this 7
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 1
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 3