Sep 8, 2012, 10:02 AM EST
I love the quick free kick. It’s a lost art, a more common staple of offensive arsenals in soccer of another day.
We still see some version of it now and again, quick free kicks around the midfield that spring a forward, or the free kick near goal that arrives to effect as defenses are still arranging a wall. Around our parts, a couple of sneaky little efforts off Thierry Henry’s foot over the last year or so were especially notable.
You know who else sees the value of the quickly taken restart? Canada.
In fact, an absolutely enormous goal came via a quickly taken free kick last night. Canada’s World Cup effort was at stake in Toronto, where the game was down to serious crunch time and the home team was still locked into a goalless draw with Panama.
But Dwayne De Rosario made eye contact with Atiba Hutinson, who played a quick free kick toward Canada’s top man. De Rosario’s 77th minute was the difference in the 1-0 win. The result kept Canada safely ahead (for now) of Honduras in second place of Group C.
By the way, that was De Rosario’s 20th goal, best all-time for Canada.
Here are the highlight’s, including Hutchinson’s smart pass to the unmarked goal-scorer.
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 2
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 1
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"