Sep 9, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
Yesterday’s 2-1 Sounders’ win over Chivas USA moves Sigi Schmid’s team into sole possession of second place in Major League Soccer’s Western Conference.
Eddie Johnson continued to build on his outstanding campaign with both goals Saturday at CenturyLink Field.
Can they make up the six points on the San Jose Earthquakes? If so, Schmid’s men will almost certainly need to take all three points in two weeks when the teams meet at CenturyLink.
Meanwhile, the Earthquakes qualified for post-season play. So say the match whizzes at MLS HQ. Now the Earthquakes will keep pressing in hopes of that Supporters Shield and top spot in the playoffs, which could lead to MLS Cup host duty if they make it that far.
Here are yesterday’s highlights, including Johnson’s 12th and 13th goals this year in his best season to date.
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (20)
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public