Sep 10, 2012, 12:44 PM EDT
With money to spare, Paris Saint-Germain apparently wants to spend on its women’s program the same way it has spent so lavishly to attract top talent to the once-marquee Ligue 1 men’s club.
Well, relatively speaking, anyway.
Clearly, not even the most decorated women’s player is going to approach the price required to gather up more men’s talent at Parc des Prince. PSG paid a whopping $140 million combined in transfer fees for just three players in the recently closed market (Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva from Milan and Argentinian forward Ezequiel Lavezzi from Napoli).
So, nothing like that.
But they are making solid, aggressive plays in the women’s game in an effort to compete with the likes of French rival Lyon.
Speaking of Lyon, Jean-Michel Aulas, owner and chairman of Olympique Lyonnais, says he expects PSG to soon coming courting Hope Solo, the U.S. goalkeeper who runs to the publicity light like a moth.
Solo has played in Europe before, once in Sweden and shortly (in 2005) for Lyon.
So, yes, Paris seems like a fine fit.
- Gareth Bale set to resign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 0
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 1
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago