Sep 10, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
I have been to United States national team matches that didn’t draw 3,000 folks. It’s been a while, but it has happened.
So, it’s always interesting when these open practices draw healthy crowds. For instance, yesterday’s open session in Columbus, site of Tuesday’s biggie, attracted about 3,000 supporters.
U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann likes the open sessions for the stronger bonds they facilitate between the team and the fans, who get a little more personal look at the players in a more casual setting.
Also included in the report are some minor (but certainly not unimportant) newsy bits:
Like Steve Cherundolo returning to practice. If the Hannover man can reassume his spot at right back, it adds tremendously to the U.S. offensive push along that side.
And Tim Howard was held out of practice due to that bruise on his lower right leg. While concerning, Howard is expected to be OK by Tuesday.
- USA can theoretically clinch a World Cup berth in their next match 1
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team 12
- 2013/2014 Premier League fixtures released 1
- United States player ratings vs. Honduras 2
- What we learned from the U.S. World Cup qualifier win over Honduras 6
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public