Has there ever been a better time to be an American soccer fan?

Sep 13, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

photo

Allow a brief digression from the usual PST Newsflow of Awesomeness (copyright: Steve Davis).

I’m sitting in a hotel room in Portland, two days before the Timbers take on the Seattle Sounders in a match that will be nationally televised on NBC. The city is stoked for the game. Timbers paraphernalia is everywhere.

Last night, I participated in a reading at a packed soccer bar. It was amazing. Copies of the debut issue of XI, a new soccer magazine, were floating around. I grabbed one. The writing is excellent. So is the simple cover (pictured above).

And then there’sHowler, which, if Matthew Doyle’s piece on American tactics is any indication, is going to be great. It’s at the printer as I type.

This is a country that can support a soccer film festival in multiple cities, including (tonight and tomorrow!) Portland. (Full disclosure: I’m part of the Kicking + Screening team.)

We have multiple television channels that continue to ramp up their coverage of the United States national team, MLS, leagues around the world, and everything in between.

The level of quality writing/reading/televising/producing/etc. about soccer grows exponentially every year. Read this awesome piece about Sporting Kansas City’s Aurélien Collin by Steve Brisendine if you want an example from today.

Was any of this possible 10 years ago? Of course not. Maybe possible in some future realm, but certainly not realistic. Now? There’s no stopping the momentum. Every now and then, take a step back to admire all the options we have now.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled news, information, and analysis.

1. joeyt360 - Sep 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Photo link brokey-brokey. :-)

2. kingarthur900 - Sep 13, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Steve Davis has been my favorite football writer for many years now, and this website has become my new favorite football website. I read and enjoy the pieces by all the writers every day. But I am finally motivated to comment after reading the story you link to: “Matthew Doyle’s piece on American tactics”. Fabulous story and thanks for spreading my football reading even farther! Keep up the great work!

• Steve Davis - Sep 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Why, thank you, uh … King. Consider me a humble subject.

3. mkbryant3 - Sep 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Indeed it is a great time to be a fan. Thank the Lord we don’t have to worry about the sustainability of our league now. Those early years were a little dicey.

And kudos to this site. The work you guys must put in to bring us a constant flow of coverage and analysis is amazing. And for no charge to us! Thank you.

4. corgster - Sep 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM

There are very few places left that will not turn out good numbers and support for soccer for top events. The foundation has been laid, now it is time to build the support beams and shelter.

5. mkbryant3 - Sep 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

We will have finally arrived when we produce a real, world-class #10…..and get rid of “USA!…USA!…USA!” in favor of clever chants accepted by huge sections of fans.

(Ok, maybe Tabare and Claudio count, but we need another, dammit!)

6. slxc - Sep 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM

For months I have been waiting for this game since I found out that NBC will broadcast the game, and I hope to be dynamic and with a lot of goals. Beat the best, especially the Sounders.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?