Sep 13, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
Allow a brief digression from the usual PST Newsflow of Awesomeness (copyright: Steve Davis).
I’m sitting in a hotel room in Portland, two days before the Timbers take on the Seattle Sounders in a match that will be nationally televised on NBC. The city is stoked for the game. Timbers paraphernalia is everywhere.
Last night, I participated in a reading at a packed soccer bar. It was amazing. Copies of the debut issue of XI, a new soccer magazine, were floating around. I grabbed one. The writing is excellent. So is the simple cover (pictured above).
And then there’sHowler, which, if Matthew Doyle’s piece on American tactics is any indication, is going to be great. It’s at the printer as I type.
This is a country that can support a soccer film festival in multiple cities, including (tonight and tomorrow!) Portland. (Full disclosure: I’m part of the Kicking + Screening team.)
We have multiple television channels that continue to ramp up their coverage of the United States national team, MLS, leagues around the world, and everything in between.
The level of quality writing/reading/televising/producing/etc. about soccer grows exponentially every year. Read this awesome piece about Sporting Kansas City’s Aurélien Collin by Steve Brisendine if you want an example from today.
Was any of this possible 10 years ago? Of course not. Maybe possible in some future realm, but certainly not realistic. Now? There’s no stopping the momentum. Every now and then, take a step back to admire all the options we have now.
Okay, back to your regularly scheduled news, information, and analysis.
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 1
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa to contest FA charge of violent conduct 1
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claim two teams interested 10