Sep 13, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
Allow a brief digression from the usual PST Newsflow of Awesomeness (copyright: Steve Davis).
I’m sitting in a hotel room in Portland, two days before the Timbers take on the Seattle Sounders in a match that will be nationally televised on NBC. The city is stoked for the game. Timbers paraphernalia is everywhere.
Last night, I participated in a reading at a packed soccer bar. It was amazing. Copies of the debut issue of XI, a new soccer magazine, were floating around. I grabbed one. The writing is excellent. So is the simple cover (pictured above).
And then there’sHowler, which, if Matthew Doyle’s piece on American tactics is any indication, is going to be great. It’s at the printer as I type.
This is a country that can support a soccer film festival in multiple cities, including (tonight and tomorrow!) Portland. (Full disclosure: I’m part of the Kicking + Screening team.)
We have multiple television channels that continue to ramp up their coverage of the United States national team, MLS, leagues around the world, and everything in between.
The level of quality writing/reading/televising/producing/etc. about soccer grows exponentially every year. Read this awesome piece about Sporting Kansas City’s Aurélien Collin by Steve Brisendine if you want an example from today.
Was any of this possible 10 years ago? Of course not. Maybe possible in some future realm, but certainly not realistic. Now? There’s no stopping the momentum. Every now and then, take a step back to admire all the options we have now.
Okay, back to your regularly scheduled news, information, and analysis.
- Southampton name former Edmonton Oilers coach its new chairman 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 0
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Earthquakes' Alan Gordon's 95th Minute Equalizer Sets 1-1 Draw vs Toluca
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League