Sep 13, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
What a weekend in MLS. Seriously. We kick off with Sporting Kansas City against Houston Dynamo, move to the Seattle Sounders at the Portland Timbers (the rivalry of the league), and bang out the New York Red Bulls hosting the Columbus Crew. Not bad, not bad at all.
But, but, but: Give us the Vancouver Whitecaps heading into the Fortress in Frisco (roll with it, please). Why? Well, funny you should ask:
- First and foremost, PLAYOFFS. The Whitecaps are clinging to the fifth spot in the Western Conference. The team directly behind them? That would be FCD. The ‘Caps are four points clear with a game in hand, but a Dallas home victory drops that lead to one. (Obviously.) Then we’d have a race on our hands. And everyone loves races.
- Could we have a Salgado sighting? Probs not, but can we offer up Gershon Koffie instead?
- FCD has its qualifying crew back. Brek Shea, Blas Perez, Carlos Rodriguez, and Julian de Guzman. Bang, bang, bang, bang, or something.
- David Ferriera has new tats. Not, of course, to be outdone by Zach Loyd.
- PST life lesson: Everything is better when Jay DeMerit is involved. Write that down, kids. AND HE NEEDS YOUR VOTE.
- Transfer needs – Manchester United, Newcastle, QPR, Southampton, Stoke 0
- Preview: Possible “Groups of Death” galore in UEFA Champions League draw 2
- Wayne Rooney named new England captain as youthful squad selected 2
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 1
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0