Sep 13, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
Franco Panizo, who has been on top of the New York Red Bulls beat all year long, returns from practice with a bit of Rafa-related news: Senor Marquez is on his way back into the NYRB lineup.
Marquez returned to drills last week, and he’s targeting Saturday’s match with against the Columbus Crew for his return. The Mexican has played just nine matches this year with eight starts. Not the type of return on investment you want for $4 million-plus.
The Red Bulls have been fine without Marquez, but they are better with him. (Trust us, they are.) And, frankly, MLS is a better place with Rafa manning the middle of the field. Even at 33 years old, he can still play and is among the best distributors in the league. He’s not the player he once was, but that’s not the point.
Plus, you gotta think he can help NYRB make a deep run into the playoffs. If everything clicks, this could (finally) be the year for RBNY to lift that trophy.
- Can the United States deal with success vs. Honduras? 0
- Lineup prediction for U.S.-Honduras qualifier 2
- Big opportunity ahead as United States faces Honduras in World Cup qualifying action 1
- Huge cost of World Cups: Did we need a protest like Brazil’s to point out the obvious? 9
- Early returns from England’s offseason tell a tale of two Manchesters 0
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public