Sep 14, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT
In a league where too many teams still make the playoffs – anything more than half qualifies as “too many” – post-season success is always going to be about timing.
A prolonged hot streak may be enough to gain post-season access; but the right timing of a big run will carry the playoff day.
That brings us to tonight’s big Eastern Conference clash, Houston’s visit to Sporting Kansas City.
Houston’s telling run was from late June through early August, when Dominic Kinnear’s men started making Supporters Shield noise with a 6-0-2.
But things have gone a little stale since then, with Houston going 2-2-3 in all competitions. Meanwhile …
Sporting Kansas City (pictured) is hotter than a Texas sidewalk in summer. Since July, Peter Vermes’ side has gone 4-0-1 in league play and captured the U.S. Open Cup trophy with a victory over Seattle. So, SKC’s streak of sizzle began about the time Houston began to fizzle.
Some of the Dynamo malaise is about the stacked-and-packed schedule: six games in 19 days over three countries. But that’s really neither here nor there at this point; the playoffs are approaching.
Kickoff tonight from Livestrong Sporting Park is 8:30 ET on NBC Sports Network.
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public