Sep 15, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
American goalkeeper Brad Guzan is doing nothing to damage his standing around Villa Park, ably managing his part of a 2-0 win Saturday over Swansea City.
Guzan wasn’t overly taxed in this one, but did earn his money with two swell saves. One was a reaction effort off a header from in close and one was a big-stretch into the corner to reach Nathan Dyer’s shot from 20 yards, one earmarked for the upper reaches of Aston Villa’s goal.
Along with the 1-1 draw against Newcastle, Guzan has done everything needed in two starts since replacing veteran Shay Given for Paul Lambert’s club.
Meanwhile, Brad Friedel has a day to wait before his surprisingly wobbly Spurs meet Reading on Sunday. Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas is already dealing with personnel drama, defending his choice to stick with the 41-year-old American as starter in goal.
Hard to say if this is media-created drama or if French international Hugo Lloris really is getting huffy-puffy about this one already. Either way, it was all as predictable as breakfast arriving at Denny’s; once Spurs signed Lloris for, some degree of controversy was more “when” than “if.”
Friedel will definitely be in the net at Reading on Sunday … but one slip of the glove and it looks like he’ll be out of a starting job.
Everton and Tim Howard are away to Newcastle this week, but that one doesn’t go off until Monday.
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC 0
- Another EPL manager goes, as Tony Pulis leaves Stoke City 2
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (13)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team