Sep 15, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
Columbus has the league’s bright new star, New York still has a whole bunch of them and San Jose is running away with the Western Conference crown – but let’s never forget about a little team just down the coast.
No team has been better this summer than the Los Angeles Galaxy, a club once looking deader than the slide phone.
After that ridiculous start, the Galaxy are 11-3-2 since May, threatening to finish second in the West and still close enough to take advantage of any slippage down the stretch from the first-place Earthquakes.
Landon Donovan got back on the field last night as Bruce Arena’s team managed out a comfortable 2-0 win over Colorado. David Beckham was out injured, but Robbie Keane’s fine form helped atone. Another goal last night from the Irishman gives Keane nine in his last 14 Galaxy appearances – and who wouldn’t take that?
Meanwhile, things are going about as badly for Colorado as they possibly can. The Rapids simply cannot get out of their own way.
Last night’s loss included a blunder by Matt Pickens, who got both gloves on Christian Wilhelmsson’s fairly ordinary second-half shot – but let the ball trickle in for a 2-0 lead. (The Galaxy’s new Swedish midfielder made his MLS debut last night. So … Debut. Goal. Win. … “Who’s up for a celebratory burger at In-N-Out?”)
Just after that one, Rapids striker Conor Casey rounded L.A. goalkeeper Josh Saunders but still couldn’t score.
Watch for yourself:
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (13)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team