Sep 17, 2012, 7:12 PM EST
Score a goal of high drama, one that keeps your team relevant a little longer in MLS playoff pursuit, and you have earned the floor. So, what did Julian de Guzman do with it?
The FC Dallas midfielder used his time at the pulpit to verbally beat the heck out of his former employer. Specifically, he went swinging away at Toronto FC manager Paul Mariner. What de Guzman said after his 96th-minute squeaker found its way home Saturday against Vancouver.
I’ll never forget the words of [current TFC manager] Paul Mariner saying that he wants to make sure he’ll send me to a last-place team and let me burn in the heat. It worked out for myself, getting the last laugh, the karma of things. Right now who’s the last place team in the league and who’s battling for the playoffs?”
For the record, and in case you haven’t studied the MLS standings just yet today, Toronto resides in last place in the East. Dallas sits sixth in the West, still hanging onto hope of reeling in Vancouver for the conference’s fifth and final playoff spot.
Not that de Guzman’s verbal grenade tossed Mariner’s way should surprise anyone. According to this story, the Canadian international let the fuse about a month ago. From the Toronto Sun:
(TFC is) still missing a bit of planning and direction,’ de Guzman told Red Nation, an online soccer magazine, in August. ‘I don’t think everyone is on the same page and that’s what leads to the results.’ ”
The other words that mattered Saturday came from FC Dallas manager Schellas Hyndman, who publicly acknowledged what everyone suspected all along: that TFC continues to pick up de Guzman’s salary following the teams’ July trade.
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 0
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014