Sep 17, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
Some goalkeeper saves are highly meaningful. Some are athletic and accomplished from a physical performance standpoint.
So, what about the towering stops that qualify on both accounts? Don’t they deserve special recognition?
Bill Hamid has had a few ups and downs this year, as all young goalkeepers will. But D.C. United’s 21-year-old starter was up for the job Saturday, and spectacularly so.
Hamid had five saves in D.C. United’s 2-1 win over New England, a clear “must have” around RFK, where playoff hopes are on the ropes due to the club’s modest record and Dwayne De Rosario’s season-ending injury.
So they’ll need a special performance from someone each night out – perhaps from more than one. Hamid did his bit Saturday. That number of five saves Saturday at RFK Stadium was nothing remarkable in itself.
But three of them came in the final few minutes as New England pressed boldly forward and United’s defense scrambled nervously to deal with it all. New England was clearly determined to make things tough on its old Eastern seaboard rivals, never mind if the Revs have been eliminated themselves.
But Hamid was determined to keep his team in the playoff chase. And he did.
Watch Hamids’ two saves in rapid succession below. It’s the best 41 seconds of goalkeeping you’ll see this week.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 14
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 34
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 8
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (34)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (14)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (12)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team