Sep 17, 2012, 5:05 PM EST
Some goalkeeper saves are highly meaningful. Some are athletic and accomplished from a physical performance standpoint.
So, what about the towering stops that qualify on both accounts? Don’t they deserve special recognition?
Bill Hamid has had a few ups and downs this year, as all young goalkeepers will. But D.C. United’s 21-year-old starter was up for the job Saturday, and spectacularly so.
Hamid had five saves in D.C. United’s 2-1 win over New England, a clear “must have” around RFK, where playoff hopes are on the ropes due to the club’s modest record and Dwayne De Rosario’s season-ending injury.
So they’ll need a special performance from someone each night out – perhaps from more than one. Hamid did his bit Saturday. That number of five saves Saturday at RFK Stadium was nothing remarkable in itself.
But three of them came in the final few minutes as New England pressed boldly forward and United’s defense scrambled nervously to deal with it all. New England was clearly determined to make things tough on its old Eastern seaboard rivals, never mind if the Revs have been eliminated themselves.
But Hamid was determined to keep his team in the playoff chase. And he did.
Watch Hamids’ two saves in rapid succession below. It’s the best 41 seconds of goalkeeping you’ll see this week.
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"