Sep 17, 2012, 10:21 AM EDT
Remember when U.S. soccer leagues once looked overseas for the game-changers, lo scouring leagues in Europe and elsewhere for the stars around which to build their teams?
How’s this for a switcheroo? Because things do seem to be changing when Americans are leading one of Europe’s prominent leagues in scoring.
“It was a special day for me, but must importantly the team played very well,” Altidore said of the hat trick against Roda in the ESPN Soccernet report linked above.
Altidore has sometimes struggled to get a toehold at his various club addresses. But here’s the thing: he started so early that we tend to forget, the New Jersey native is only 22 years old. So if he didn’t come in and immediately set the soccer nation ablaze during stops in Villarreal, Hull City and elsewhere … well, was it really such a devastating turn?
At any rate, he did get that toehold last year – and then some. In his first season at AZ, Altidore led the team in scoring with 22 goals across all competitions. His 15 strikes in league play was good enough seventh in Eredivisie goal scoring.
So, expect us to check back often as Altidore completes his second season under manager Gertjan Verbeek.
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers 5
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 7
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 24
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- NWSL Game of the Week: Sky Blue FC vs. FC Kansas City 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (24)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million