Sep 18, 2012, 11:07 AM EDT
You may tell me that the “new boss” is same as the “old boss,” and I get it.
But I will tell you, “At least it’s something new and different.”
I like a little novelty and diversity, a.k.a. “something different,” when it comes to the luminaries of the global game. Nothing against the old gaurd, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, etc. … but I enjoy when a Manchester City busts up the established hierarchy of European soccer.
That’s why I’m excited to see how Paris Saint-Germain can manage its newly acquired wealth. Ligue 1 play is under way and PSG is holding its own. (Not spectacularly at 2-0-3, but doing OK for now.)
But this is the big show, Champions League. It starts today as Dynamo Kiev travels west to Parc des Princes for a Group A clash. Pricey striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic is one of the building blocks on the high-finance reconstruction effort around the regal ground in southwest Paris. (The facility is regal, that is, although certainly not the surrounding neighborhood.)
Ibrahimovic says PSG has the stuff to make a dent in the world’s top club tourney:
This will be a great experience for the club, for the players and of course the supporters. …It is a great tournament, the greatest. I have played it every year but I have never won it. We have the quality, the potential. Every competition I play in, I want to win it.”
- Stock Falling: Which U.S. players’ statures are slipping … 0
- Get to your DVRs as soon as possible, because that Italy-Japan match was a classic 0
- Stock Rising: United States men whose values are rising out of Salt Lake 1
- MLS Preview: Portland Timbers at LA Galaxy 0
- Goal, assist from Neymar give Brazil win, prolong Mexico’s woes 2
- Graham Zusi keeps making it harder for Landon Donovan to get back into U.S. national team (29)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Orlando City dumps Sporting Kansas City out of U.S. Open Cup, extend unbeaten streak to 14 matches (13)
- It’s time FIFA reconsiders the Confederations Cup bid to the Oceania region (13)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public