Sep 18, 2012, 11:07 AM EST
You may tell me that the “new boss” is same as the “old boss,” and I get it.
But I will tell you, “At least it’s something new and different.”
I like a little novelty and diversity, a.k.a. “something different,” when it comes to the luminaries of the global game. Nothing against the old gaurd, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, etc. … but I enjoy when a Manchester City busts up the established hierarchy of European soccer.
That’s why I’m excited to see how Paris Saint-Germain can manage its newly acquired wealth. Ligue 1 play is under way and PSG is holding its own. (Not spectacularly at 2-0-3, but doing OK for now.)
But this is the big show, Champions League. It starts today as Dynamo Kiev travels west to Parc des Princes for a Group A clash. Pricey striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic is one of the building blocks on the high-finance reconstruction effort around the regal ground in southwest Paris. (The facility is regal, that is, although certainly not the surrounding neighborhood.)
Ibrahimovic says PSG has the stuff to make a dent in the world’s top club tourney:
This will be a great experience for the club, for the players and of course the supporters. …It is a great tournament, the greatest. I have played it every year but I have never won it. We have the quality, the potential. Every competition I play in, I want to win it.”
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 3
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014