Sep 19, 2012, 12:32 PM EST
For plenty of teams around MLS, identifying the most important one or two men would become a wonderful starting line for a night of pub debate.
Think about it. Who really is the top influencer or the top pair for the Galaxy? Between David Beckham, Landon Donovan, Robbie Keane and Omar Gonzalez, you’d surely get a variety of opinions.
Same for the New York Red Bulls or Kansas City or Chicago, the current Eastern Conference trio of leaders.
But for a few clubs, pinpointing that top pair is pretty basic stuff. Take Columbus, for instance.
Can there be a bit of doubt that playmaker Federico Higuain, new though he be, and goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum (pictured) are the most essential elements to the suddenly foundering playoff hopes around Crew Stadium?
So it comes as the very best of news that both men, in question for tonight’s “gotta have it” match against flailing Chivas USA, appear to be ready to go.
Gruenebaum, a revelation in goal this year as a replacement for injured, previous starter Will Hesmer, left last week’s loss to New York after banging his head on the post. Higuain is dealing with a toe injury.
On the one hand, Columbus might be able to handle this one without their critical pair, leaning more on steady Eddie Gaven and others. Then again, there is zero margin for error at this point. If Higuain and Gruenebaum can go, then go they must.
The current Eastern Conference standings:
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 2
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Eddie Johnson got paid: New D.C. United forward signs Designated Player deal 2
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season