Sep 19, 2012, 11:38 PM EDT
That scary version of Sporting Kansas City – the one that had us thinking “title contender” at the season’s onset – may be back.
That’s not to say they haven’t been a title contender all along. Steve’s got them at number two in his Power Rankings, and they’ve been at the top of the East most of the season. It’s kind of hard to avoid picturing them at MLS Cup … hosting MLS Cup … maybe raising MLS Cup.
The feeling’s been different since they came back to earth. Sporting’s lost the aura they had during that torrid start, and we’ve been distracted by New York, Houston, and Chicago.
But tonight, with two early goals at Red Bull Arena, Sporting got our attention. For one night, that title contending form was definitely back. And the key to that form: Get a goal and rely on that suffocating defense.
Tonight, the goals came for set pieces. Kansas City took advantage of a confused Red Bull defense (and Heath Pearce keeping half the team onside) for their first, while Kei Kamara hammered home the second from a Graham Zusi restart.
New York tried to come back, but Sporting was always more likely to score the next goal.
With the win, Sporting’s five up on New York, four up on Chicago (who have a match in hand).
Here are your highlights:
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte