Sep 19, 2012, 9:46 AM EDT
We cannot exactly add Real Salt Lake to the list of MLS teams in the “sitting pretty” category of CONCACAF Champions League play – but the club from Utah is a lot closer today than yesterday.
Real Salt Lake needed all three points in last night’s tussle with Panama’s Tauro in order to stay in the thick of things in group play. Jason Kreis’ men got what they needed, but just barely.
Álvaro Saborío’s penalty kick in the 93rd minute gave the Utah side a 1-0 win over the Panamanian champions.
So yesterday’s win in Central America sets up a high stakes Oct. 23 showdown with Costa Rican champions Herediano, who currently share top spot in CCL Group 2, with six points each.
Herediano still has a home match against Tauro (which has now been eliminated). So, the likelihood looks like this for RSL:
Kreis’ side will probably need a win; chances are that a draw would suffice for the Costa Ricans. Even then, it will probably come down to goal difference; the result of that Sept. 25 Herediano-Tauro contest will be significant.
RSL and Herediano both are currently at plus-2 on goal difference. Here are the current Group 2 standings:
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte