Sep 20, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
The Twitter monster roared with laughter this morning as this little factoid made the rounds:
MLS leading scorer Chris Wondolowski now has exactly as many goals as Chivas USA this year, 21. I believe broadcaster Jonathan Yardley was the first to begin circulating that painfully revealing little doozey, but I could be wrong.
Either way, poor little Goats. My heavens, things have gone into a complete death spiral for Robin Fraser’s team.
They haven’t won since July and don’t have a victory over a team that will make this year’s MLS playoffs since May. Even though Fraser’s men gave a good account in Wednesday’s narrow 1-0 loss at Columbus, the spirited performance will be lost in the ongoing cascade of horrendous numbers.
The worst may be this: Chivas has been outscored 26-9 over its last set of 10.
But getting back to the Goats’ 1-against-11 battle with Wondolowski: We’ll continue to watch, but it could be close.
If you’re wondering about historic lows for this team with such puny goal totals, the Goats are probably OK there.
Chivas has seven games remaining, and even at the current, painfully slow clip, they’ll score enough to avoid any “worst evers” in MLS. They could very well finish in the Top 10 (er … “Bottom” Ten?) in terms of all-time worst total over a season, but they are fairly safe from being the worst.
Chivas can thank the 2010 D.C. United bunch for that.
The 2010 version of the Black and Red hit just 21 goals over the entire season of 30 matches. That’s the MLS record low in goals scored and average goals per game (0.70).
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public