Sep 20, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT
Last weekend, it was Dallas scoring late, late, late to rescue fading playoff hopes.
Last night Columbus did the same, as Justin Meram pounced assertively on a loose ball near Chivas USA goal in the 89th minute. That ensured all three point for Columbus, which absolutely, positively needed all three.
The win moved Columbus back into fifth place in the East, into the final playoff position, just ahead of D.C. United.
Just like in the West, the playoff race on the right side of the map is down to six teams (fighting for five spots); others still have mathematical chances, but who’s kidding who?
Since United has a game in hand over Columbus and a favorable schedule, the Crew may not have recovered from missing out on those two additional points. That’s the razor thin margin for error that teams will deal with over these last few weeks.
By the way, Columbus goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum did what he’s done all year for Columbus, scooping up the big saves that gave his team the opportunity to win it late.
Here are highlights from last night’s 1-0 win in Ohio.
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 1
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 5
- Premier League managerial pair blast squad and referee following final match 0
- VIDEOS: A brief history of recent “Olimpico” goals in MLS 3
- Where Landon Donovan’s afternoon takes us in the ongoing U.S. national team debate 7
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team
- Play Video: Red Bulls pull off win on the road
- Play Video: Highlights: Montreal extinguish Chicago