Sep 21, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
Times have been tough in Houston recently. The Dynamo are just 1-2-3 in their last six MLS games, a stretch that has seen them fall from a sure-thing playoff spot in the Eastern Conference to gamely holding on for fifth. Aye carumba!
But their fortunes in the CONCACAF Champions League are much better. On Thursday night, the Dynamo dispatched FAS with ease, winning 4-0 (highlights here).
Former Derby County Young Player of the Year Giles Barnes was the early hero, scoring from distance. After that, it was the Cam Weaver show as the Reserve League forward snatched a goal and two assists.
“Any games I have a chance to get minutes in I’m happy,” Weaver told MLSSoccer.com. “Finding your form takes game minutes and if you’re just training and not getting game minutes it’s hard to keep your form up. I’m happy to get a goal, couple of assists and to help the team. I think we pretty much accomplished everything we wanted to accomplish for the team.”
Good quote, Cam. Moving on: Success in the Champions League is fun, but maybe not the ticket the Dynamo need right now. They have a playoff fight on their hands, a point clear of the Columbus Crew and one behind D.C. United. The East is tiiiiiiiight up top and any slip up means the Dynamo will miss out on postseason action. That would be a shame; that stadium is so nice. Luckily, Houston plays at the Union and host New England over the next nine days. Can you say six points?
But… if the tired legs prevail — many regulars played big minutes against FAS — our man Dominic Kinnear might look back and sigh. Was making the CCL quarterfinals worth i?
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 8
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 4
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (28)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (11)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team