Sep 21, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Bruce Arena knows more about soccer and how to win at the game than any three other coaches combined. Just ask him and he’ll tell you so!
Seriously, never mind the famous arrogance and entrenched penchant for sarcasm, he surely is the most successful U.S. soccer coach to have come along. Arena achieved at every level, as a college coach, as an MLS manager and then as chief of the United States national team.
You do remember that landmark 2002 World Cup, right? Or the three MLS Cups he was on the resume, two with D.C. United back in the day and another with the Galaxy in latter day MLS.
Arena turns 61 today.
Ireland and Aston Villa center back Richard Dunne turns 33 today.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): April Heinrichs
*Ahead on the blog today: Noah Davis has the breakfast shift around PST. He lives in New York. Some would even say he’s a bit of a Big Apple elitist. Ahem. Any-who, since the man is a Big Apple kind of guy, I’d be willing to be a sixer of Sierra Nevada that Noah has some thoughts on this, the intriguing trademarking of a couple of intriguing names. To wit …
Surely you have something on DVR from the first round of Champions League, right? Or Europa League? Or CONCACAF Champions League?
If not … well, just clear the day for a big soccer Saturday.
If the MLS playoffs started today (following 28 rounds):
- Houston vs. D.C. United
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- Chicago vs. New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake vs. Vancouver Whitecaps
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Seattle vs. L.A. Galaxy
PST background noise while blogging today: Downtempo mixes. It’s a Friday thing.
We’ll leave you with this: I’m always conflicted about the “FC” thingy. I mean, it’s tradition, and I get that. On the other hand, we don’t call it “football” here, so “FC” doesn’t make sense. Can’t we merge into “SC” and then just all get along?
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad