Sep 21, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
Bruce Arena knows more about soccer and how to win at the game than any three other coaches combined. Just ask him and he’ll tell you so!
Seriously, never mind the famous arrogance and entrenched penchant for sarcasm, he surely is the most successful U.S. soccer coach to have come along. Arena achieved at every level, as a college coach, as an MLS manager and then as chief of the United States national team.
You do remember that landmark 2002 World Cup, right? Or the three MLS Cups he was on the resume, two with D.C. United back in the day and another with the Galaxy in latter day MLS.
Arena turns 61 today.
Ireland and Aston Villa center back Richard Dunne turns 33 today.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): April Heinrichs
*Ahead on the blog today: Noah Davis has the breakfast shift around PST. He lives in New York. Some would even say he’s a bit of a Big Apple elitist. Ahem. Any-who, since the man is a Big Apple kind of guy, I’d be willing to be a sixer of Sierra Nevada that Noah has some thoughts on this, the intriguing trademarking of a couple of intriguing names. To wit …
Surely you have something on DVR from the first round of Champions League, right? Or Europa League? Or CONCACAF Champions League?
If not … well, just clear the day for a big soccer Saturday.
If the MLS playoffs started today (following 28 rounds):
- Houston vs. D.C. United
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- Chicago vs. New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake vs. Vancouver Whitecaps
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Seattle vs. L.A. Galaxy
PST background noise while blogging today: Downtempo mixes. It’s a Friday thing.
We’ll leave you with this: I’m always conflicted about the “FC” thingy. I mean, it’s tradition, and I get that. On the other hand, we don’t call it “football” here, so “FC” doesn’t make sense. Can’t we merge into “SC” and then just all get along?
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claims two teams interested 2
- Player Ratings: Some good, some not so good in Chile’s 3-2 win over the U.S. 11
- Chile 3-2 USMNT: Another lead disintegrates for Klinsmann’s crew 1
- Sheffield United 2-2 Tottenham: Eriksen sees Spurs to All-London final in absolute thriller 2
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Lots will be drawn to determine second place in Group D 0
- Queens Park Rangers’ Canadian winger Junior Hoilett on Toronto FC, relegation battles and more 0