Sep 22, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT
None of us ever want to be a “cautionary tale,” personally nor professionally.
Robbie Findley has become just that.
Findley was 25 years old when he left a good situation at Real Salt Lake. It’s hard to blame a young athlete for wanting to elevate his game on stages that rank bigger or better or both.
So he took his scoring boots and fleet feet to Nottingham Forest in England’s second tier. It seemed a reasonable move, but as we know about the best laid plans that can go awry …
An early training ground injury kept Findley out of competitive matches for Forest for the back half of the 2010-11 campaign. He got some minutes toward the front half of 2011-12 but never gained a strong hold on anything consistent, playing-time wise.
His position slipped further this year and, long story short, Findley is not with Forest today.
Today is with Gillingham in England’s fourth tier. Findley is there on a one-month loan assignment. From there? Who knows.
But England’s fourth tier is nowhere near where he wants to be, certainly not a place where Jurgen Klinsmann will go looking for his next showtime striker.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 8
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 4
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (28)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (11)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team