Sep 22, 2012, 9:21 PM EDT
They call this one “straight off the training ground.” That is, it’s a well-worked free kick goal for Real Salt Lake early in Saturday’s match against Portland.
(From Portland’s side, by the way, they call it “more of the same.” That is, the wall disintegrated like a cheap paper towel, allowing Fabian Espindola’ free kick to go straight through. So, pretty weak sauce from the visitors.)
Either way, it’s a well-rehearsed, well-executed restart sequence. Kyle Beckerman’s little dash out to the right, and then a little push pass that goes the other way, all serving to create just enough confusion in the Timbers wall. And that opens the door for Espindola.
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 4
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 11
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 3
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2