Sep 24, 2012, 9:56 AM EDT
We had a nice little Twitter fight break out this morning. A man near the top of the soccer’s media food chain suggested Branko Boskovic’s diving header last night might be the best header goal in MLS this year.
Well, it may have been the most important header goal, especially if you back and Black and Red. (His was the game-winner in a 1-0 result over Chivas USA, a result that will go far in pushing United toward the playoffs.)
For me, it’s not even the second-best header goal in MLS this year.
In talking about the top goal off the ol’ noggin, a case can absolutely be made for Sebastian Miranda’s something special from a step beyond the penalty area back in May. Yes, a header from outside the penalty area.
I’ve seen them before (even saw one years back for the U.S. national team, from Thomas Dooley against Germany). But they usually involve something fluky, like a weird hop, or like Dwayne De Rosario’s header from distance against the Red Bulls, where a goalkeeper is painfully out of position. (That was No. 100 for “De Ro!” Well done, sir.)
Not Miranda’s. That was a freakin’ driven shot. Here ‘tis:
It’s almost a tossup for me, but I’ll go with Darren Mattocks’ header for Vancouver against Toronto early in the summer. When I saw Miranda’s goal, I remember thinking, “That’s a great goal!”
When I saw Mattocks rise up in the air, coming as close to actually levitating as any human I’ve seen since Michael Jordan’s in his pre-underwear salesman days, I remember yelling audibly “Whoa!”
So, by a small margin, that one has my vote.
- Official: Neymar to join Barcelona 1
- Bayern Munich – Borussia Dortmund: The tactics and the game’s shifting momentum 0
- Bayern Munich 2-1 Borussia Dortmund: Robben the hero, Bayern crowned Champions League winners 4
- Two last points on the Robbie Rogers trade news 1
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- USA Today reports LA Galaxy trade Mike Magee for rights to Robbie Rogers (14)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?