Sep 24, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
Soccer birthday: As Rangers current manager in Scotland, Ally McCoist finds himself in charge in unprecedented turbulent times. He turns 50 today.
Best guess, this job will be like the presidency in our land, where it he ages about three years for every one actual year during his time in charge.
Fabio Aurelio turns 33 and John Arne Riise 32.
Big Important Stories of the Day: D.C. United’s Branko Boskovic (pictured from Sunday) finally did what the men in charge around RFK Stadium brought him here to do: make a difference. We may eventually look back at his goal Sunday in the nation’s capital as the one that delivered playoff soccer to the Black and Red for the first time since 2007. Indeed, the team’s playoff footing looks more stable today than it has in weeks.
That has a lot to do with the struggles of Houston and Columbus, but credit to United for taking care of business.
RASNoD (Random American Soccer Name of the Day): John Doyle
*Ahead on the blog today: Monday stuff. Which means MLS Player of the Week (some tough choices to make there) and MLS Team of the Week, plus the Monday “Meh” list of the slightly overrated in soccer.
We’ll also look at Federico Higuain’s decreasing output with the Columbus Crew. Plus, we’ll begin zeroing in on some of the MLS post-season awards.
What you should watch on TV today:
Slim pickin’s today. If you have the beIN Sport platforms, you may witness the Blackpool-Huddersfield clash at 2:40 p.m. ET. So, congratulations.
And if you have beIN SPORT en Espanol, even better! You may watch the Deportivo la Coruna-Sevilla clash at 3:25 p.m. ET.
And the answer to your next question is: “No, we also had no idea there was a beIN en Espanol. But we’re glad there is.
If the MLS playoffs started today (following 29 rounds):
- Houston vs. D.C. United
- Sporting Kansas City vs. Wildcard winner
- Chicago vs. New York Red Bulls
- Seattle vs. Vancouver Whitecaps
- San Jose vs. Wildcard winner
- Real Salt Lake vs. L.A. Galaxy
PST background noise while blogging today: Newest ep of Being Liverpool. And we’ll probably start re-watching first series of Homeland, in anticipation of new greatness to come.
We’ll leave you with this: I know all fans around United aren’t happy that United is struggling to get these points lately. But c’mon! They are getting the points. That’s what this time is all about, finding a way through. Because that’s how it will be in the playoffs.
*Always subject to change; you know how it is…
- What we learned from Tuesday’s U.S. win over Panama (19)
- Which U.S. men have locked up World Cup roster spots? (16)
- Three huge positives to take from USA’s convincing win over Panama (15)
- Broadcast of U.S. v. Panama was second highest audience for World Cup Qualifier (14)
- Marseille’s hideous away kit one of the worst of all time (14)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Police clash with protesters in Brazil
- Play Video: Highlights: Sounders win in final minutes
- Play Video: Highlights: Revolution dismantle Galaxy
- Play Video: What does New York FC have to do to succeed?
- Play Video: The Hype: Bending the screen like Beckham
- Play Video: Galaxy's Rogers talks about coming out to the public