Sep 25, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
Let’s be clear about this: The Los Angeles Galaxy does not need David Beckham to get a top three placing in the West.
Landon Donovan, Robbie Keane, Juninho and Marcelo Sarvas are doing simply delightful, thank you very much, running the attack with confidence and verve. The side can keep its spot in the standings (currently tied for second) without him.
But … the Galaxy probably will require Beckham’s golden right foot to optimize chances of playoff success. San Jose, Seattle and even Real Salt Lake on a good day will be obstacles in the West either way, so a healthy, happy and hopping-quick Beckham can only assist matters.
So, Galaxy supporters will be happy to hear that their man Becks is back at training. So says official Galaxy blogger Adam Serrano, who is all over Home Depot Center matters these days.
Beckham has missed his team’s last two MLS matches and a Champions League contest. The former England captain is listed as day-to-day for this weekend’s match in Colorado.
After that, the Galaxy has three MLS matches and one Champions League contest for Beckham to polish up the touch and fitness.
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes