Sep 27, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Everyone’s focusing on Friday’s match up between Sporting Kansas City taking on the Chicago Fire and then Saturday’s Vancouver-Seattle nightcap (insert contractual obligation to mention MLS on NBC here), but we’re going to argue that the Portland Timbers hosting D.C. United is the secret game of the week. We like challenges.
Oh boy. Here it goes:
* Timbers fans are, for real, totally awesome, even though their team is terrible. They are committed to making JELD-WEN “a fortress,” and they’ve succeeded. The Timbers have a +3 goal differential at home (and a -23 on the road).
* The Timbers are fighting for their jobs. They know Caleb Porter’s watchful eyes are somewhere.
* Ben Olsen is the best.
* United needs this game. They’ve won three in a row (side note: the Results Map is great), but they still could finish anywhere from first to sixth in the Eastern Conference. That’s drama, folks.
* Merritt Paulson will give you $100. We kid, we kid. We love the Timbers owner.
- Yahoo! reports: Mourinho to sign 4-year deal with Chelsea, will be unveiled June 2 0
- Anyone else think Bayern Munich is playing dirty? 6
- With PSG willing to match Wayne Rooney’s wages, Manchester United has somebody to bail them out 3
- Looking at the United States’ roster ahead of their Canada rematch 1
- A stadium for New York City FC – tougher than you think 9
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? (9)
- Possible temporary homes for New York City FC (9)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte