Sep 28, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
These are some great, relevant numbers, lifted with humble appreciation off the Down the Byline blog, to consider ahead of tonight’s huge Eastern Conference showdown at Livestrong Sporting Park.
It includes some of the real statistical goodies, like a little appetizer portion on Sporting Kansas City’s 8-game unbeaten run. (Marry that with the Fire’s four-game winning streak, the club’s longest in seven years, and you see how this is such a crackerjack match-up.)
But the blog entry also has some healthy portions on the Fire’s curious dominance recently in this series. For instance, how about this little dollop of informational awesome:
It has been 717 days, according to the site, since Sporting Kansas City defeated the Fire in any match. SKC last prevailed against the boys from Bridgeview back in October of 2010. That was also the Fire’s last loss against an Eastern Conference team at home.
And it has been 1,864 days since Kansas City won at home against the Fire. That’s a little more than five years.
Some of these streaks are just down to circumstance and good fortune – the province of “just the way” the cookie crumbles and balls bounce, etc.
But, geez, at some point, you start to consider whether something closer to providence is at work when results get so lopsided.
Tonight’s match is on NBC Sports Network. Kickoff is 8:30 p.m. ET.
- Mike Magee’s arrival can only help in Chicago 0
- Champions League final preview: A bitter rivalry with much higher stakes 0
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land 11
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? 25
- Champions League Final infographic: Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich 0
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (35)
- Which US cities are next for MLS expansion? (25)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (18)
- Notes from today’s big announcement on MLS, NYCFC the Yankees and the rest (14)
- With MLS expansion done for now, where the league priorities should land (11)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy