Sep 29, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
Don’t have your best two strikers?
Don’t have your top midfielder and unquestioned field general?
Well, no problem. Not as long as someone like Ryan Johnson is around to nail wonder goals like this one!
Watch the opening goal tonight by Toronto FC from Red Bull Arena, where New York needs all three points in the worst way against the Eastern Conference’s bottom club. (And one that’s beaten all to heck by injuries; absences include their standout goalkeeper Stefan Frei, DP strikers Eric Hassli and Danny Koevermans and DP midfielder Torsten Frings.)
It’s not going to hold, based on the early flurry of offense from both sides – there are more goals in this one, believe it – but here is Johnson’s opening strike Saturday, from about 35 yards.
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market 12
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. 28
- Gareth Bale set to re-sign with Tottenham – But is it a good deal for the Welshman? 7
- Looking back at Week 6 of the NWSL season 2
- Movement in the LA Galaxy-Omar Gonzalez situation 6
- Bigger impact on U.S. soccer growth: David Beckham or Pele? (35)
- It’s official: Manchester City and the Yankees will own and operate Major League Soccer’s newest expansion team. (28)
- Portland ball kid correct to deny Mario de Luna (12)
- Why MLS was so focused on New York as the 20th market (12)
- More on Landon Donovan and the U.S. national team roster (11)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- Play Video: Premier League drama set to thrill
- Play Video: Premier League: Real English drama
- Play Video: Highlights: Union outlast Fire
- Play Video: Sir Alex says goodbye
- Play Video: Morgan committed to growth of new women's league
- Play Video: Boy with cancer, 8, scores against major league soccer team