Sep 30, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
It’s now seven goals in six league games, five in his last four overall for Jozy Altidore, though the young American may need a little help with his celebrations. After his 24th minute goal today against RKC Waalwijk, Altidore took what can be generously described as a coordinated tumble. Not that he hadn’t earned it. Not even a full face plant would he detracted from the quality of his goal in Alkmaar.
With the match tied 1-1, Altidore came back for a ball played in from the center line, turned, and beat three defenders before finishing inside the left post.
This is one of the better Altidore goals you’ve seen:
Even though the Eredivisie is not the most difficult scoring environment, it’s nice to see a young star regaining his confidence. We all know the troubles Altidore’s gone through since leaving Major League Soccer for Europe. That goal is something you wouldn’t have seen Altidore try during more challenging times. You probably wouldn’t see him try to do that for the U.S. national team, either.
A full year of this type of production could go a long way for the 22-year-old, even if his current goalscoring rate (and the ease of that goal) hint Altidore may be quickly outgrowing the Dutch league. But let’s worry about that in May. For now, it looks like it’s going to be a highlight-filled season for Altidore.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 5
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video) 10
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0