Sep 30, 2012, 11:20 AM EST
It’s now seven goals in six league games, five in his last four overall for Jozy Altidore, though the young American may need a little help with his celebrations. After his 24th minute goal today against RKC Waalwijk, Altidore took what can be generously described as a coordinated tumble. Not that he hadn’t earned it. Not even a full face plant would he detracted from the quality of his goal in Alkmaar.
With the match tied 1-1, Altidore came back for a ball played in from the center line, turned, and beat three defenders before finishing inside the left post.
This is one of the better Altidore goals you’ve seen:
Even though the Eredivisie is not the most difficult scoring environment, it’s nice to see a young star regaining his confidence. We all know the troubles Altidore’s gone through since leaving Major League Soccer for Europe. That goal is something you wouldn’t have seen Altidore try during more challenging times. You probably wouldn’t see him try to do that for the U.S. national team, either.
A full year of this type of production could go a long way for the 22-year-old, even if his current goalscoring rate (and the ease of that goal) hint Altidore may be quickly outgrowing the Dutch league. But let’s worry about that in May. For now, it looks like it’s going to be a highlight-filled season for Altidore.
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 0
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- Kind draws could give Messi, Ronaldo head start on World Cup 2014′s Golden Boot 2
- Four players who raised their profiles during the MLS playoffs 2
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)